Welcome to our eBranch!
Heartland Credit Union is a full-service, financial cooperative based in Madison, Wisconsin. We serve Southwestern Wisconsin and Eastern Iowa.
Our mission is to provide our members with quality, cost-effective, personalized financial services that contribute to their social and economic well-being. Please let us know how we are doing.
A little bit about how it all began
"It was a cold night in February 1936 when we organized in a room on the first floor of the telephone company building at 17 South Fairchild Street in Madison. It was cold inside, too. Mr. F. Ennis, manager of the local exchange in Madison, took to heart the admonition of his superiors to conserve fuel. We were still in the depression days. Our first employee, John Cash, was a man of courtly manners and well into his sixties, pipe smoking and serious about his job. He was proud to be associated with us even though his wages were next to nothing. Charlie Hyland of CUNA Mutual Insurance assisted us in getting off on the right foot. Not only did we take in money the first night, but also granted the first loan to Nick Guerten. At 9:30 p.m., we turned out the lights, slapped our hands together several times to re-establish circulation, and headed home satisfied with our work." ~ Axel Lundstrom --HCU's first chairman, recalling the night the credit union was organized in 1936.
Who Can Join?
Anyone living, working or owning property in these counties:
- Wisconsin: Dane, Grant, Iowa, Crawford, Lafayette, Sauk, Richland, Dodge, Green, Rock, Jefferson, Columbia or Vernon County
- Iowa: Allamakee, Clayton, Dubuque, Winneshiek, Chickasaw, Bremer, Fayette, Buchanan, Delaware, Jackson and Jones County
- Illinois: Boone, Jo Daviess, Stephenson & Winnebago County
You can also qualify for membership if affiliated with any of these organizations:
- Any employee and/or their family member(s) who works for AT&T, SBC, TDS Metro or Independent or Cooperative Telephone Companies in Wisconsin
- Dodgeville Agri-Service: Patrons, employees and their family members
- Lands' End: Any employee or family member
- New Horizons Supply Cooperative of Fennimore: Patrons and family members
- Peoples Community Oil Cooperative of Lancaster: Patrons and family members
- Scenic River Electric Cooperative
- Immediate family of existing Heartland Credit Union members are also eligible to join
To start opening your Heartland account, click the "Apply Now" button. Then follow the "Switch to Heartland" link and use our handy forms to move your existing accounts from your old financial institution to Heartland.
Apply Now Switch to Heartland
Want to work at one of the most progressive financial cooperatives around? Check out our current openings and then apply online!
Important Information About Procedures for Opening A New Account
To help the government fight the funding of terrorism and money laundering activities, Federal law requires all financial institutions to obtain, verify and record information that identifies each person who opens an account.
What this means for you
When you open an account, we will ask for your name, address, date of birth and other information that will allow us to identify you. We may also ask to see your driver's license or other identifying documents.